No matter what your situation looks like today, our legal team understands the law and possess the courtroom skills to help you navigate successfully the legal issue you face. Call our office today to schedule a review of your case.
When you meet with us, you will find the entire firm working with you to achieve your goals. We take on only a limited number of cases at a time so we can focus on your needs and goals.
Divorce LawDavid has successfully represented clients in trials, appeals, mediations, arbitrations and before administrative bodies.
Learn More »
Other Practice AreasOther areas of expertise include family, business and employment law.
Learn More »
David Read practices family law and employment law throughout the Wasatch Front. Prior to working out of his current office, he maintained his practice at the law firm of Strong and Hanni and later at the law firm of Cordell and Cordell. David provides clients with high quality legal representation as he focuses on implementing the most cost-efficient and legally effective strategies. David has been recognized in Utah Business Magazine’s "Utah Legal Elite" and Super Lawyers.
David works closely and effectively with qualified professionals and expert witnesses, including business evaluators, forensic accountants, clinical psychologists, custody evaluators, social workers, and appraisers. David served as a founding editor-in-chief of the Utah Journal of Family Law. He also serves as the Articles Editor of the nationally recognized Journal of Legal Studies Education, a publication of the Academy of Legal Studies in Business.
University of Houston, J.D. 2009
London School of Economics, MSc. 2005
University of Utah, 2004, BA
- Spousal support / Alimony
- Child Support
- Custody and Visitation
- Post Divorce Disputes - Modification and Enforcement
- Premarital and Postmarital Agreements
- Property Division
- Business Valuations
- Litigation in Trial Courts
- High Profile / Celebrity Divorces
- Drugs and Crime in Divorce
- Domestic Violence
- Protective Orders
- Restraining Orders
- Tax and Financial Planning During Divorce
- Parentage / Paternity Cases
- Retirement Plans and Benefits in Divorce
- Juvenile Court
- Military Divorces
- Legal Separation
Our legal team handles employment and labor law matters for both employees and employers.
- Policies and Procedures
- Employee Handbooks
- Training in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship
- Employment discrimination & harassment based on race, gender, national origin, religion, disability, age, sexual orientation & gender identity
- Hostile Work Environment
- Wrongful Termination
- Non-compete Agreements and Non-disclosure Agreements
- Employment and Severance Agreements
- Wage and overtime issues
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Contract Disputes
- Debt Collection
Our DUI defense team is dedicated to protecting your due process rights and fighting to avoid the life-altering consequences of a DUI conviction. A DUI charge starts a complicated process that demands a skilled lawyer. Our legal team has successfully defended divorcing clients and business professionals against DUI convictions.
- David's Google Scholar Profile: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=7FK9Y5YAAAAJ&hl=en
- Read, D. et al. Utah Business Law for Entrepreneurs. Utah State Bar Association, 2016.
- Read, D. and Boyle, R., Understanding the Limits of Possessing Hacked Data. Pacific Southwest Academy of Legal Studies in Business, February, 2017, Palm Springs.
- Read, D. Goddard School Faculty Research Symposium, Corporation Sole, Nov 18, 2016.
- Read, D. The Mormon Church and the History of the Corporation Sole: An Expanding Global Kingdom. Academy of Legal Studies in Business National Conference (2016), San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Michael J. Stevens and David W. Read, Teaching Conflict Resolution Skills and Ethics Through People Skills, Academy of Legal Studies in Business National Conference (2016), San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Read, D. Utah Association of Certified Public Accountants, Junior Leadership Training Meeting, Triad Center, SLC, Utah, June, 2016.
- Landry, R., and Read, D. Bankruptcy Reform’s Impact on Access to Bankruptcy’s “Fresh Start” Policy: Reforms Needed to Restore Access to Justice. Academy of Legal Studies in Business (Distinguished Paper Proceedings), Seattle, Washington (August 3 – 7, 2014).
- Read, D. What Every Business Student Must Know About Divorce. Academy of Legal Studies in Business, Seattle, Washington (August 3 – 7, 2014).
- Read, D. Liberal Conception of Social Justice in the Law of Bankruptcy: Why Congress Must Reform the Bankruptcy Code to Remove Artificial Barriers to Bankruptcy’s “Fresh Start” Policy. The Fifteenth Huber Hurst Research Seminar, The Warrington College of Business, University of Florida (February 7 – 8, 2014).
- Read, D. and Landry, R., Religiosity and Consumer Bankruptcy: A State-Level Analysis. Academy of Legal Studies in Business, Boston, MA (August 6 – 11, 2013).
- Read, D., An Examination of the Legal and Financial Impact Of Divorce on the Division of the Marital Estate of Business Owners and High-Level Executives. Pacific Southwest Academy of Legal Studies in Business, Palm Springs, California (February 14 – 16, 2013).
- Read, D., Davis, B., Kosher and Yosher: Toward Proper Business Practices in the Kosher Food Industry. Academic and Business Research Institute International Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada (October 4, 2012 – October 6, 2012).
- Read, D. (Author only), Davis, B. (Author and Presenter), Evaluating Ethical Misconduct in the Workplace: Personal, Organizational, and Opportunity Factors. Academic and Business Research Institute International Conference, Nashville, Tennessee (March 24, 2013 – March 26, 2013).
- Read, D. Weber State University Entrepreneurship Club, What Every Entrepreneur Should Know About the Law. Ogden, Utah (February 6, 2013).